Red spots on nape of neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red spots on nape of neck

Hi,  for the past few years I have been getting red spots on my head, generally around the nape of my neck and above my sideburns (all within an inch of my hairline).  They're not sore to touch and don't have a head, but ever now and then they do get sore to touch.  I do shave my head yet my mother has the same issue and of course she doesn't.  I've never suffered from acne, but still have the odd bout of eczema every now and then..

It looks like folliculitis to me. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle. Topical antibiotics such as mupirocin or neomycin containing ointment are also useful.In case the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case and get cysts also ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.