Dermatology Expert Forum
Red spotty rash in groin area and thighs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Hello - thank you for taking the time to deal with my problem.

I noticed a red, spotty rash on my right thigh - near my groin.  
I also have some dry scaly skin at the base (upper side) of my penis.
The spotty rash on my thigh and groin spread over the next day or so and so I arranged an appointment with my doctor.
He examined me and said he thought it was Psoriasis, but couldn't be sure.

He prescribed me Clinitar, which I found out from the pharmacy is no longer produced!  I also have some Betamethasone Valerate - but this is mainly for a smaller eczema problem on my hands.

I will contact the surgery to get another topical cream to replace the Clinitar, but all of this, combined with the fact that the spotty rash is spreading quickly over the inside of my thigh, and is now on both sides of my groin (left side less so though) is making me a little anxious that the doctor has diagnosed me wrongly.  

Based on my description, could I have a second opinion from you?  Should I be worried about the horrible red itchy rash on my thigh that is spreading fairly fast?

Many thanks.
I assume that Clinitar is some sort of tar, which I think you can do nicely without.  I think that you should proceed on the assumption that what you have may be a fungal infection.  This is neither serious nor contagious.  Try an over-the-counter antifungal cream like 1% clotrimazole twice a day and set up an appointment with a dermatologist.  If it is psoriasis or some other inflammatory condition, the doctor can prescribe an appropriate steroid cream.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
ps - if it makes any difference - I take Acidophilus and Colostrum supplements to keep colds and flu away...

Thanks.
hello
i have notice these red bumps in my groin area right next to my scrotum there are about 15 or soo they are small red nd round they do no itch or burn or hurt when i touch them. they have been for for months now nd i worried they might be genital warts nd i also have the same bumps on the other side of my grion which there is only one nd it is not red it white but looks the same as the others  nd i have all soo started to notice all these lil red blotches on my arms nd stomach nd some look like the red bumps in my groin they kinda look like pimples but when i spueeze them nuttin comes out just blood roud the bump can u please tell me what this might be i been using a rash cream for jock it nd i have seen no improvment soo do u no what this might be???
ive started forming red blotches on my thighs,calfs, and some parts of my forearm. they only itch somtimes. its been spreading alot since 2 days ago. they first started forming around a month ago. ive also been getting lot blackheads on my chest and pimples on my back. i also had ringworm on my arm that i recently got rid of. i thought they could be related in a way. i also was on a bodybuilding drink called "cell tech" but i quickly stopped taking it because i thought it could be  why ive been forming these red blotches . i also have been getting dry skin. i think it can be winter itch or scabies. does anyone kno wat it is? and if its serious or not and if it will go away and not leave permenent scars please let me know if u have any information.