Red welt

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Red welt

I have a very large red welt on my stomach. It is approx. 2x2 inches. It is tender to the touch. It is also warm in that area. Near the center of it-the tissue is hard, but further out-it is soft and I can press into my muscle and whatnot. It has been this way now for over 24 hours. What is it, and should I go see a doctor??
Since the red rash is tender, red and warm, so it looks like a bacterial infection of the skin. Other possibility is of a viral infection. Another possibility is of cellulitis skin. Cellulitis is an acute infection of skin and soft tissues characterized by localized pain, swelling, tenderness, erythema, and warmth. It usually follows a break in the skin, such as a fissure, cut, laceration, insect bite, or puncture wound.

I suggest you an immediate dermatologist’s evaluation. Till then apply some antiseptics and wear cotton clothes. Application of antibiotic creams and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.