Redness Corner of mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Redness Corner of mouth

7725502?1330464085
I have a redness around the corners of my mouth. Some weeks will flare up alot and some weeks will go down but still be visible..
Sometimes its a red rash and sometimes theres little red bumps or even a combination of both.. It gets really dry and it has somewhat of a tingle sensation or sometimes burns.
Ive been prescribed ketoconazole and some other fungal medication that was only one pill and it didnt help, maybe a LITTLE but not very noticeable, it might have just been one of the "good weeks" where its not so flared..
it flares up ALOT when i eat...
What should i do and what is it?
ive read about angular cheilitis but not sure if thats what it is.
this problem started when i stayed the night outside in a car and it was REALLY COLD, but its been like this for a year and wont go away..

Tags: redness corner mouth, bumps, burn, rash
From the symptoms it looks like angular cheilitis. It is an inflammatory lesion at the corner of the mouth and manifests as deep cracks or splits. More commonly it is caused by a fungal infection.
Dry out the lesions completely by patting and air drying after washing with a mild soap and use petroleum jelly to lock out moisture. It is vital that the affected areas be clean and completely dry before application of the jelly. You can also apply small amounts of athlete’s foot cream which is available over the counter. If the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist as oral antimicrobials may be needed. Also take some Vitamin B supplements.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.