Redness along outer edge of lips.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Redness along outer edge of lips.

I have a red inflammation along the outer edges of my lips extending out from the sides of my mouth toward the center.  It looks a bit like a thin rash.  The problem became noticable about five months ago and has persisted with no signs of going away.  I've seen a doctor and he diagnosed cheilitis and prescribed betamethasone.  I've been using this twice daily for about six weeks with no results.  He also mentioned that it could be an allergic reaction and recommended that I stop using silverware, which I have done. I also stopped using toothpaste (out of desperation!) and brush using only Listerine.  
I read online that it could be caused by vitamin deficiency, so for the past month I've been taking a daily vitamin supplemented by B complex, iron, and zinc vitamins.  Last week the same doctor (who seemed baffled at the lack of results) prescribed more betamethasone but also nystatin to address my concern that it could be fungal.  I've used the nystatin for about a week now with no results.
The inflammation has little to no sensitivity but looks awful.  Furthermore, I had a sore on the inside of my cheek about three weeks ago.  Could this be related?  Is there some form of oral disease which these may be symptoms of?  Nothing I've done so far has had any impact at all.  I know it is close to impossible to diagnose anything by reading just a short, vague, description but I am open to any suggestions.  Also, if you have any suggestions of what I might ask or suggest to the doctor I've been seeing, please let me know.  The guy has over thirty years experience but his uncertainty has me worried.

This discussion is related to Eczema of the Lips and Face.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I do understand your concern. You have described the redness to involve the outer edge of your lips. I would advise that you discuss with your physician if a referral to a rheumatologist my be necessary if this does not appear to be infectious. At this point, we can not provide a definite disease for a diagnosis however some autoimmune diseases may present as swelling of the lips or a rash in certain areas of the face and other parts of the body. Also, a skin biopsy may be able to establish the diagnosis.

Any palpable nodes in the area?

Any history of travel or exposure to certain chemicals prior to presentation of the symptoms?
It is related to sores inside my cheeks near the back of my mouth.  The sores are small, irritating.  Since I quit smoking I've noticed a fading of the redness around my mouth (though its still there) and the sores are a constant.  Salt water rinse seems to help.
One day I'll be able to afford another visit to the doctor...until then I'll just have to deal with it.
Hey mate,

I have what sounds like exactly the same thing, six months in now and its still there. I have tried 4-5 different steriodal and antifungal creams but to no avail.

Has yours gone away? Mine only seems to flare up when i shave or am under stress.