Dermatology Expert Forum
Redness around rim of glans(glands) penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

About 2 weeks ago, within hours of some vigorous sexual contact (consisting of manual stimulation by both parties and brief oral sex by her, but no penetration other than by hand), I noticed what appeared to be some redness and slight swelling around the rim of my glans (glands) penis (I am circumcised).  It was localized to the rim of the glans (glands) on the top half of the penis.

Because it appeared so quickly, and was not accompanied by any blisters, sores, pain, itching, discharge, etc., I assumed it was just physical irritation and basically ignored it.  When it faded but didn't completely disappear 11 days later, I went to see my primary care doctor, who did a very quick examination and stated that it was just "local irritation" and not an STD, etc.

However, that was about a week ago, and the redness (perhaps faded somewhat) is still there, still localized to the top rim of the glans (glands).  The only other thing I may have noticed is that a strip of skin about 1-2 cm wide below the rim seems to be a littler paler than usual and more sensitive to the touch. But I'm not sure about that, and I can't really see anything unusual other than the redness.

I've searched high and low on the Internet for pictures or descriptions of anything resembling this, and the best I could find is a photo of "Balanitis caused by Citrobacter."  (If you go to this website: http://atlases.muni.cz/atl_en/main+dermven+foreskinpath.html and click on photo #2825, you'll see the slight redness and swelling around the rim that appears similar to what I have.)

So I have two questions.  First:  Is my self-diagnosis correct and, if so, how should I be treating it?  I applied topical antibacterial cream intermittently for a few days, but didn't see an immediate change and wasn't sure whether to continue.  Second: If I'm wrong, is there something else this could be and/or anything I should be getting tested for?

Thanks so much.
Irritation can cause redness, and that can last for weeks.  The less you do to it, the faster it will go away.  I believe your diagnosis, seconded by your doctor, is correct.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I should probably add that re: the 1-2 cm below the rim of the glans (glands), I can now see if I pull the skin taught that there is an uneven reddish discoloration that seems to be 'spreading' just a cm or so down from the rim, and which feels sensitive like raw skin.
hey, i got the same thing xcept mine is right on the bottom of the glans (glands).  mine is on the 5-7 o'clock position.  my **** gets all red when i masterbate.  does ur urethea get wrinkly and scaley like mine?

man, i really thought it was balanitis as the doctor has suggested to me.  but lately i'm getting this repeated numb feeling on my left leg.  i heard this is a symptom of herpes.  not trying to scare u.  we should keep on contact since we both have the me thing.
A related discussion, redness on the corona near the frenulum was started.