Redness between butt cheeks

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Redness between butt cheeks

I've been suffering with redness and sometimes burning and itchiness between my butt cheeks for well over a year. I've seen a couple of doctors about it. I am mostly able to keep the irritation down with hydrocortisone 1%. The first doctor (my PCP) did a swab and determined bacteria growth and prescribed me Mupirocin 2% topical ointment. The redness did go down but not completely away. The second doctor (a dermatologist) which I saw almost a year later (more recently) also did a swab and found bacteria growth. He prescribed me Desonide 0.05% for 10 days, along with Cephalexin 500mg (3x/day) for 2 weeks. After the 10 days, I went on Mupirocin for 5 more days. The redness really went down and I wasn't bothered by it anymore, however it did not completely go away. I spoke to the doctor over the phone and he advised me to stop everything and just let the natural oils of the skin take over.

It has now been another two weeks and I feel like I am back to where I started. The redness is unfortunately back, along with some burning and itchiness.

I keep the area clean and even use baby wipes. I also have switched from boxers to briefs because I feel like it helps. As you can imagine, I'm a bit embarrassed to go to the doctor for this issue but I'm not sure what to do. I feel like I can indefinitely keep it under control with hydrocortisone and Mupirocin but ultimately, it doesn't solve the problem.

I've also gotten redness around my testes but that is short lived and goes away with some hydrocortisone. I feel like it occurs because of sweat.

I have also in the past tried baby powder and antifungal ointment. Since both doctors did tests and found bacteria, I believe them that it isn't a fungal issue.

I guess I am unsure what to do now. Is it normal for there to be some redness always around the anus?

Thanks in advance,
Chad
Since the redness has been present for quite some time, you should get it examined from a dermatologist and get intertrigo ruled out. You should keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical zinc oxide cream like Sudocrem, Desitin are very helpful (apply with a paper towel and not directly with hands).Application of mild steroid cream like dermacort also helps but it should be used with caution and only under a dermatologist’s guidance.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I have the same. Told it was a bacteria given the cortisone cream but can not get red of it. Do I need antibiotic