Dermatology Community
Redness on jawline (not acne) rosacea?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Redness on jawline (not acne) rosacea?

Hello,

I am 27 years old, and since the beginning of my 20's I started developing redness.  It seems to be getting worse, and several years ago a dermatologist said I had mild rosacea.  I have been put on metrogel, which made it worse, Oracea, which may have helped ever so slightly but I am uncomfortable taking daily antibiotics.  I have been doing my research and see that rosacea typically effects the center of the face and not the sides, mine is the EXACT opposite.  The highest concentration of redness is in my jawline, and it seems to be spreading to the sides of my face by my ears and eyes, and occasionally on the cheekbones.  I have dryness by the eyes, however I have oily skin and would not by any stretch say I have dryness and redness.  I do not have acne, just the occasional typical break out.

I don't see a huge correlation between flare ups and outside factors, I love spicy food and eat it daily, I am stressed, and I do drink alcohol, but all of those things are fairly constant, and at times the flare ups are much worse than others erratically.

I have also heard about the correlation between low stomach acid and rosacea.  I dont know whether I have this, but I do get regular indigestion feelings, burping and stomach cramps (possibly GERD??).  I can tell you that I have been born and raised vegetarian, don't know if thats a possible cause.

Any insight into my problem and how to solve it would be great.  Could it be something other than rosacea?  Please help!

Thank you,

Holly
Tags: redness, jawline, GERD, not acne