Regarding dry, cracking hands...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Regarding dry, cracking hands...

Once more question...

The knuckles and fingers of both hands, closest to the back of the hand, have dry, red, VERY itchy patches. Lotion stings because they are cracked and I think itching them has broken the skin. They seem to flare.. like get worse sometimes but I haven't determined a pattern. I don't have it all the time, and no one would really notice unless they specifically looked at my hands and saw the redness.

Haven't been able to pinpoint exactly what this is and wondering if anyone knows.

Help is appreciated! Thank!
From the symptoms it can be due to eczema skin. Other possibilities are contact dermatitis like washing dishes without wearing gloves, contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions that contain perfume . Sometimes cold, dry air can cause peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause peeling. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide). Also use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections have to be ruled out then. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

My knuckles have red, itchy patches on them too!  They crack open and bleed.  I know it's because of the cold weather and from always having my hands in soapy water at work. I try lotion, but it hurts and why put lotion on when I have tons of dishes to wash at work, sanatizer water, washing my hands? I just wash the lotion off seconds after I put it on anyway.  I work in a cafe at Barnes and Noble, so my hands are constantly in sanatizer water and soap.  A customer told me try vaseline. Put it on at night and wear gloves.  Another told me to try something else, I can't remember. But she also said to get gloves to wear while I wash dishes.  I am going to have to, cause I'm tired of my knuckles and fingers itching, hurting, cracking open and bleeding.  Do you work somewhere where your hands are constantly in dishwater?