Regrow cut finger cuticle

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Regrow cut finger cuticle

Incidentally the cuticle of one of my fingers was damaged, and I removed the rest in order to help with the surrounding the nail skin inflammation to clear. Whatever I tried in this particular sequence (tri-antibiotic cream, polysporin, or hydrocortizon creams (available around-the-counter), nothing helped with curing the inflammation and regrow the cuticle for longer than a month already. The nail is healthy and not affected so far.

A few times during this period, the skin inflammation calmed but restarted again. I kept the area dry and clean during the day, covered with above creams. Also, sometimes I have soaked the finger for 15 min in unfiltered Apple Sider vinegar and peroxide warm bath, usually in the evening before I dried again and apply the above creams before bed.

I read dermatologist's advise online and considering applying lLtrimin (clotrimazole) available around-the counter as a cuticle cream, if this can help me regrow faster the cuticle and stop the persistent skin inflammation.

Can you help! Please notify me when a specialist answer my question.

Thanks, Ken
The symptoms that you are having are suggestive of paronychia. It results from a breakdown of the protective barrier between the nail and the nail fold. Diagnosed by gram staining and KOH wet mounts from the skin and nail scrapings.

Treatment includes warm water soaks of the affected finger 3-4 times per day, oral antibiotics, topical antifungals and surgical intervention in more severe cases. My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.