Removal of Mole on Eyelid?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Removal of Mole on Eyelid?

I have had a mole about 2 cm in length on my upper right eyelid since birth. I recently saw an opthamologist about getting it removed. He recommended the surgery to prevent any future complications due to the location of the mole. However, he recommended against a graft. He explained about the uniqueness of the skin on the eyelid and how a graft (such as from behind the ear) would appear unnatural, since the skin is thicker. He also explained that after the surgery my right eye may appear "bigger" due to the removed skin.

I am having trouble deciding whether to go through with the surgery.  I am afraid my right eyelid will be visibly disfigured. What should I expect cosmetically after the surgery if I were to have it performed? Would it be clearly distinguishable?
There are many procedures of mole removal like by shave or deep elliptical excision, excision with cauterization (a tool is used to burn away the mole) and laser removal. Your dermatologist may choose excision with or without stitches, depending on the depth of the mole and the type of cosmetic outcome desired. It is very difficult to confirm without examination but at the delicate area of the eyelids, careful examination and then decision needs to be done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.