Ring rash on armpit
I have a rash on only my right armpit which is a big ring like formation. It's not itchy but I don't want it to spread. My dermatologist gave me a liquid that "moistens and hydrates dry skin". But how can I have dry skin when I'm constantly sweating and living in a humid climate? And the liquid doesn't seem to be working? Anyone know what it could be and what I should do?

This could be tinea.

Tinea versicolor is a fungus infection that commonly affects the skin of young people, especially the chest, back, and upper arms and legs. It doesn't usually affect the face, though. This fungus produces spots that are either lighter than surrounding skin or reddish-brown. There may be just a few spots or many.

There are many antifungal agents available to apply to the skin for the treatment of tinea versicolor. Over-the-counter (OTC) remedies include clotrimazole and miconazole. These should be applied twice a day for 10-14 days, but come in small tubes and are hard to apply to large areas. Another OTC option is selenium sulfide shampoo 1% (Selsun Blue), which is applied at night and washed it off in the morning for a week. This treatment can be irritating, however, and may lead to missing hard-to-reach spots on the mid-back.

There are also many prescription-strength antifungal creams that can treat tinea versicolor, as well as a stronger form of selenium sulfide (2.5%). However, these pose the same application problems as similar OTC products.

Oral treatment for tinea versicolor is simpler. A single dose of ketoconazole (brand name Nizoral) or five daily doses of itraconazole (brand name Sporanox) are two therapies your doctor can prescribe. Some common medications, such as Lipitor used to lower cholesterol, may interact with these drugs. So, ask your doctor about this before treating tinea versicolor with oral medications.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.