Ringworm of the scalp & oral medication.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Can ringworm of the scalp be cured with ketoconazole alone?  I met a doctor who said use Nizoral for 3 months and my son's tinea of the scalp should clear.  I have found no other source of information confirming this as everything I have read suggests a combination of the oral anti-fungal and the shampoo together is necessary to clear the stubborn fungus.

I have two children with the condition and don't want to waste any more time if I absolutely need the oral.  I am using ketoconazole 2% every day.

Thank you!  
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Scalp ringworm or tinea capitis is a common mild infection of the scalp and hair that appears as scaly spots and patches of broken hair on the head. It is caused by a fungus and usually affects  children. Scalp ringworm may be passed among humans by direct contact with infected people or with contaminated objects (such as combs, pillows, and sofas).

Medicated shampoo such as ketoconazole is often  used for treatment in mild cases and to reduce the risk of spreading the scalp ringworm.However, oral antifungal medicines are prescribed if the fungus invades deep into the hair follicle. This usually requires at least 6–8 weeks of treatment with oral antifungal pills or syrup. Discuss this with your doctor for proper management. A physical examination or evaluation of the severity of the fungus infection will indicate what treatment option is suited for your children.

Take care and regards.
Thank you so much, I do appreciate your reply.  Unfortunately I had to take my two children to two different Drs. who gave conflicting opinions.  My son has a good two inch in diameter bald spot and another 8 or more small circles all over his scalp.  If the presence of ringworm of the scalp is for sure and hair loss has occurred, do you think the oral would be necessary?  

Avatar_dr_f_tn

In this case, prescription oral anti-fungal medication from your doctor may be needed. Scalp ringworm is a major cause of hair loss, and should be treated aggressively. Though treatment may be different with your other son.It is important that you finish the full course of antibiotic that your doctor prescribes and treat for at least another  week after the resolution of symptoms to guarantee eradication. As soon as treatment has begun it's fine for them to play with other kids, but it is recommended that they avoid sharing combs, etc or to let them or other children rub the patch of ringworm as this may spread the fungus. If there are pets in the house, it is also advisable to have them checked because they may be harboring the fungus in their bodies even with out visible rash.

Take care and regards.
my son is 3yrs old and I have been fighting this scalp ringworm for months now, 8mths to be exact. I have tried all the creams suggested by pharmacist. however it will go away only for a few days max a week an half an then. He now has a very big bald patch in his head followed by other small ones.my question is does in needs to treat internally to get rid of this completely with a liquid antifungal medication? what is the best liquid antifungal medication you would suggest that will work really fast an best for a child at his age..