Dermatology Expert Forum
Ringworm or penis?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Ringworm or penis?

Hello.  I am a 34 year old male, uncircumcised.  For approximately the last month, I have had the outlines of a vague "ring" come and go on the head of my penis.  It is usually about the size of a dime, but the size and shape vary.  This "ring" is not always a complete circle, but it looks like circular imprints or indentations in the skin.  It is not painful to the touch, but I do on occassion feel a slight radiating ache or discomfort from the area when I have it.  Sometimes the skin inside this "ring" will take on a wrinkled appearance.  Is this possibly some type of fungus or ringworm on my penis?

Prior to this, in mid July, I had a rash type outbreak of little red bumps all over the head of my penis (no pain, no blisters, no discharge, perhaps only slightly itchy).  I went to my doctor, who said it was just an allergic reaction of some sort and should clear up on its own.  It did, but a few bumps kept recurring, lasting approximately 4 or 5 days, with approximatley the same amount of time in between recurrences.  I went back to my doctor in September, who inspected them again and said it was probably a yeast infection I picked up from my wife.  He advised I rub Lamisil on it twice a day for two weeks.

After using the Lamisil, I no longer have the bumps but now I have this strange "ring".  I went back to my doctor to have him take a look, however the symptoms were very vague at the time and almost invisible, so he could not offer any meaningful guidance at the time.  It is difficult to schedule a visit with my doctor when the symptoms are very visible, as the intensity changes very rapidly in a short period of time.  It can appear very clear and prominent, and in a few hours be practically unnoticeable, and then a few hours later be very prominent again.

I have since tried using both Lamisil and Clotrimazole regimens.  As I said, the symptoms pass after about a week, but I get the feeling it is more a result of "running its course" rather than due to the medications.

Do you have any ideas on what this is and what an appropriate treatment would be?  Also, any chance that this might be STD related somehow?

Thank you very much.
Fungus ("ringworm") does not come and go.  It consists of scaly patches which persist and spread unless treated.  I doubt you had yeast either--yeast produces fiery red patches with pustules.

I don't know what you have, but I cannot think of any condition, sexually transmitted or otherwise, which would present in this way.  Until you can show the problem to someone (perhaps a photo would help), I advise you to ignore it.  There are lots of visible skin changes that don't mean anything, and I think this is one of them

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I am 34 year male old uncircumsized and sexually active (with protection) with identical symptoms to Joe.  I have seen several postings describing similar symptioms.  Can you advise on advisability of trying the anti-fungal or hydrocortozone treatments some have tried?  Where can I find out more information about this condition or this worth a trip to dermatologist?

Thank-you.

I'm a 20 year-old male, good health.  I haven't been sexually active with anyone for some time now, and I'm in an exclusive hetero relationship.  I noticed a patchy red area on the shaft of my penis, upper side 1.5cm away from the head.  It is perhaps 1cm in diameter, in a rough oval shape.  It does not appear to have a clear middle (indicating ringworm), and there have not been any boils or pus-filled lesions (indicating herpes).  Is it possible that it is just a skin rash, or is it something else?  (Note the nickname-- I worry about everything-- Kaposi's Sarcoma?)
A related discussion, what is it was started.
A related discussion, what could it be ? was started.
A related discussion, ringworm on forskin of Pennis was started.