Ringworm?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Ringworm?

I really would appreciate someone's help with this...

History: In Nov 2008 I started getting a rash in the webs between my fingers. I was told by a doctor that it was a fungus and I used OC fungal meds. It cleared up. Right after, my right thumb started to shed skin, and then became very red, blistered, and itchy. My doctor prescribed a variety of steroid creams, all of which did not clear anything up. At one point she prescribed an antibiotic (while still using a steroid cream) and it has since somewhat cleared, although not completely.

Currently: In Jan 2009 I developped a rash under my chin. Steroid creams did not work, neither did an immunosupressant cream. In the past week it was since spread and become so much worst. My doctor said it is now Ringworm.

Symptoms: very red skin, slightly elevated exterior (although that has improved some), what looks like small blisters, and very itchy (has improved).

Tx: terbinafine (oral) and I've also been using a topical cream (Loprox) and coconut oil to help with the dry skin.

I've been doing the above treatment for 5 days and have seen little improvement.

How long will it take for some relief? Is there something else I can do? This is really taking a toll on me. The rash is quite large (from just below my lip to under my chin). Can someone tell me what the signs are that it's healing (is flaking one of them?)
i had this....its called tinea corposis as well. i bought the cream from the pharmacy. it heals but it left me a white spot and burn......the white spot will spread but its usually tiny...
The symptoms that you are having are due to fungal infection(ring worm) of the chin.the treatment that you are taking is antifungal treatment but it will take some time to go away completely.It is also recommended that medications be continued for two weeks after symptoms disappear. This precaution guarantees that all fungi are killed.

In addition,wash your skin daily and then dry thoroughly by pat drying,not rubbing. The damp skin is an ideal site for fungi to multiply.Also do not share other people’s towels.
If still the symptoms do not improve then pls get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist.A biopsy of the skin may be helpful in confirming diagnosis.
I hope that helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries. Kind regards.

Just an update:

It seems to have gotten lighter in colour, however it is still very visible. The symptoms have decreased some (not as much itching and flaking).

I'm hopeful that it will get better soon!
My ringworm took about about 4 weeks to go away. I put the antifungal cream and covered it, but make sure you try to keep it covered, because they spread easily. But when it starts healing, it will get light. It doesnt get smaller around the edges, it just start looking like it's disappearing.