Rough Palms

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rough Palms

I have very rough/dry hands. People(mostly men) would shake my hand and say wow your hands are rough or have you been on a cattle drive?  I use lotion all the time.  I've tired many types of lotion, I drink plenty of water.   Just my hands are never moisturized enough to feel soft.  Just rough and dry.   very embarassing.
This can be due to dry skin. I would suggest you to treat the skin on your hands with the same care as the skin on your face. Since hands have thinner skin, fewer oil glands, and are as susceptible to the sun as our faces, they tend to show signs of aging/drying first. During the day, hydrate and protect hands from sun damage and sunspots with a protective and moisturizing cream.

At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. For a more intensive nighttime treatment, apply cream and then cover hands with gloves or socks. Your body heat helps the cream sink deeper into the skin—and you'll wake up with the baby-soft hands to prove it. I would also suggest you to avoid washing hands with soap repeatedly and use gloves while doing any household work.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers