Rough skin on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Rough skin on penis

So, it's somewhat embarrassing, but I've had a problem down south for a little while that I think I should start looking into.

I've noticed that on the top right and top left side of the shaft of my penis right before the glans (glands) there are rough, leathery spots of skin. Both places seem to be getting more rough as time goes on, but not too quickly. That is the area that is most contacted when I masturbate, however I have a hard time believing that masturbation alone would cause this as it's not present in other men.

I concluded that it was most likely due to not enough lubrication, so I changed the amount, but I was wondering if there was something else I wasn't considering-- or maybe something that I should do to help treat it that I'm not.

Thanks for the help

This could be - pearly penile papules or Fordyce
spots. You would need to consult your doctor for a confirmed diagnosis.

'Pearly penile papules are multiple, small (about 1-3mm) papules running around the circumference of the crown of the glans (glands) penis. They typically develop in men aged 20 to 40, and around 10 per cent of all men are affected. They may be mistaken for warts, are not infectious and require no treatment.'

'Fordyce spots are small (1-5mm) bright red or purple papules that can appear on the glans (glands), shaft or scrotum and usually affect younger men. They may occur as a solitary lesion, but frequently appear in crops of 50 to 100. They are painless and not itchy, but may cause embarrassment because of their appearance, or a fear that they might be sexually transmitted. '

Let us know if you need any further information.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Hi Doctor,

thank you very much for the great explanation. Until now I didn't know what my problem was. I too have a similar problem. So now I can come to a conclusion that they are "Fordyce Spots".

What would be a home treatment for Fordyce Spots?

Thank you very much once again.