Dermatology Expert Forum
Round, red and raised skin keratosis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Round, red and raised skin keratosis
Ever since I moved from Ohio to Tennessee (1975), I have been developing skin problems that continue to spread.  I now have these round, red and raised marks all over my arms, legs, and back.  They are crusty to the touch and sometimes (but not always) itch.  Several dermatologists told me it was pre-cancerous skin carsinoma and had be scared to death of the sun.  (I have not had a sunburn or tan since I was 16.)  The last time I went to a dermatologist, he said it was not pre-cancerous.  He used 4 initials in describing the problem and proceeded to treat it with a combination of Retin A (which I can't afford to get) and some other skin ointment.  These spots sometimes open up and bleed.  Can you help me?
I think you may be referring to DSAP, or Disseminated Superficial Actinic Porokeratosis.  This condition is sun-related but not precancerous.  Treatments don't help much, though, to tell the truth.  I would check with your skin doctor to see if this is indeed the diagnosis, and stay in touch woth him or her about treating the annoying symptoms, if any.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
my little boy has the same thing in back of he's legs.
it looks  round ,red,and it itchs and every time he messes with
it he starts bleeding and it get bader and biger big time red
i dont know what it is
what do i do!!
if someone can tell me what they think e-mail me at
               ***@****
                        thank you