Dermatology Expert Forum
Round Rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Round Rash

I have a round dime size rash on my arm and neck.  The one on my arm is scabby around the parimeter of the cirle and sometimes discharges puss.  It also itches. The one on my neck is just darker around the parameter of the circle, no puss, no itch. I seem to have another one starting on my stomach.  I have no idea what this may be, or what to possibly apply.  My husband thinks I may have picked it up from our cat.  She has a patch of missing fur on her check that is circular as well.  I've had ringworm as a child and it was nothing like this.
Steffie:

Not everything that's round is ringworm (the common term for fungus.) In your case, however, it may very well be fungus, especially since your cat seems to have a problem with its fur.  My advice is to go to the pharmacy and pick up some clotrimazole cream, which does not need a prescription.  Apply it twice a day for two weeks, but also get your cat examined by a vet, or else the condition may will recur.

For the record, most skin fungus infections do not come from pets.  Yours may, however.

Good luck!

Dr. R
I have a round scar-like rash on my butt cheek and it itches and my ear is peeling and itches too. Also I have scratched my ear and it's not abou to bleed. What could this be? Also I've noticed that I've had diahreah (very soft stool) for about 2 weeks but now it's getting better...HELP PLEASE!
A related discussion, Rash: Acute Infection, Allergy, What is it? was started.
A related discussion, scalp ringworm was started.