Round spots of dry skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Round spots of dry skin

I've just recently started developing a couple of round patches of dry skin on my body.  First one and now another.  They do not repond to any kind of moisturizing, no matter what I use and they do not go away!

There are no raised edges nor does there seem to be any abnormal color change to the skin... just the dry patch that feels rough to the touch, kind of like sandpaper. The rest of my body seems absolutely fine so far. The patch on my shoulder is about 1cm in circumference, while the one on my side is slightly smaller.

Any ideas?
Tags: Skin, round, Dry, Patch
Avatar_dr_f_tn

We just have to ascertain first if these dry patches are not fungal in nature. Fungal infections may present as dry looking patches due to the fine scales that characterize them. You have noted these patches in various parts of the body, is this correct? Other differentials will be nummular eczema and xeroses (dryness). I do not think keratosis pilaris would fit in as you have mentioned of "skin patches". Keratosis pilaris however involves larger areas of skin.

Have you had this assessed by your physician already?
nope, didn't want to make a trip to the doctor if I didn't need to.  It seems fairly benign at this point, but I wouldn't mind trying to figure out what it is,  It just feels dry, not scaly!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

You may continue moisturizing these patches. Try Vitamin E cream for ready absorption. This may be a fungal infection or a dermatitic skin condition. Using a mild and bland cleanser like Cetaphil or Neutrogena may help prevent further dryness of the skin or irritation. You may apply an antifungal cream over the area just to see if the dry patches respond to the medications.
i have the same thing on my shoulder i went to the doctor he told me it was skin mold and to use canestan on it even for a week after it goes away? hope that helps its caused by sweat not drying quick enough?
I have the same thing. I have eczema, but I've never noticed these til summer. One is just below my bra line and I noticed a second one a couple days ago and it's above my pant line about half an inch. I have serious ointments because my eczema is so bad and none of these have them go away. I picked at one like a scab and it seem to have made it worst and a little bigger. I'm scared and I'm curious if anyone truly knows what this is.
Hello, I have the same things, I have had these for a few years now they are all over both of the tops of my arms and have begun to merge together. These patches occur mostly during the summer and do not tan. I have recently started having them on my back which are much more itchy than those on my arms. I went to the doctor 2 years ago when I first noticed them, they just gave me anti dandruff shampoo and told me to cover the areas and leave for 10 minutes before I showered. This did not help and they did not say what it was, I have not been back since. I think some GP's are quite useless and would like some genuine help to get rid of them.
I just recently developed these bizarre dry patches .  First one on my arm and then one on each shouder - same spot/same time they formed and then one on my ribcage now.  I have never had any skin issues or exzema (eczema), but have had extreme stress for the past 2 months that they have developed.  The winter has also been unusually dry and causing severe hand, dryness, and fingernail peeling.  Not sure what to do!
Same thing here, Single spot showed up on my arm next to my elbow. Almost perfectly round, dry but smooth not flaky or protruding. Same as well with the dry air this winter and going through some extreme stress... showed up right around the 2 month mark as well. trying to figure out how to get rid of it, hoping the spring moisture will help. never had skin problems before and after this stress and winter my skin is itchy, but that one spot doesn't itch just dry.