Dermatology Expert Forum
SHINGLES TWICE IN THE SAME SPOT
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

SHINGLES TWICE IN THE SAME SPOT

Last year I was diagnosed with shingles localized above my left eye.  I took the anit-viral meds and it cleared up.  It has flared up again in the exact same location.   The shingles are still in the rasied red skin/unbroken blister phase and itch moderately.  The docs have started me on a regimen of acyclovir. 

I was told that you could not get shingles in the same place twice?  Is there any chance this could be something else?
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
Yes, I think there's a good chance neither outbreak was shingles.  It may be herpes simplex (the cold sore type) rather than herpes zoster (shingles.)  I suggest a viral culture next time this happens, but before acyclovir is prescribed.  If it is a cold sore, you can consider suppressing it with regular use of acyclovir if you get frequent recurrences.  Discuss this with your doctor or a consultant.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
2 Comments
Blank
Just to let you know last year last June I had shingles. Its june again and I got the shingles again in the same place they started burning over and over the rash had not come right away but I went ahead and went to the doc they gave me valtrex. I'm on it now.

Blank
A related discussion, Bumbs on inner thighs and shingles was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker