SLAMMED MY MIDDLE FINGER IN MY CAR DOOR

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

SLAMMED MY MIDDLE FINGER IN MY CAR DOOR

I MADE A MISTAKE AND SLAMMED MY MIDDLE FINGER IN MY TRUCK DOOR... IT IS NOW BLACK UNDERNEATH THE NAIL.   IS THERE ANY TREATMEAT THAT I CAN DO TO MAYBE TAKE THE SORENESS OUT OF OF IT.  I AM A PIANIST AND GUITARIST I HAVE TO PLAY THIS WEEK...AND IT IS THE TIP OF MY FINGER                         THANK YOU..
If you did it very recently you can actually drain the blood out and it helps a lot. If the blood has already clotted there isn't much else you can do.
Hope it gets better soon.
It is due to formation of subungual hematoma. A subungual hematoma is caused by collection of blood (hematoma) underneath a toenail or fingernail. Keep the hand elevated and apply cold compresses by wrapping ice cubes in a towel. Please ensure not to apply ice directly without any cloth. Also take some anti inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac if you have taken them prior to this injury and have not shown any allergic reaction to them.

Also consult a doctor because any hematoma which is covering more than 25 % of the area has to be evaluated by a doctor. If there is any nail removal then soak it with an antiseptic and apply some antibiotic cream like Neosporin or Bactroban. Surgical technique for draining the hematoma like cautery, needle drilling or removing the entire nail to release the blood may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.