Dermatology Expert Forum
STD or something else

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

STD or something else

10 days after having protected sex with a woman (basically a one night stand) I noticed a red rash (20 small red bumps) in my pubic region. Also, there was a small sore (lesion) at the very base of the shaft but not all the way into the pubic hairs.  The lesion was surrounded by a red puffy circle but did not hurt.  There was a small amount of pus at the center.  The lesion healed in about seven days and has almost disappeared.  I did not have any blisters or any other symptoms.  I have never had Herpes 1 or 2 or any STD.  About two weeks later, a similar looking rash appeared on my thigh near the genitals but not on them.  It looked like red bumps with skin sort of peeling around the bumps.  It has started to fade after three days.  Any idea what this is?  I took an IgG Herpes test and Syphilis test at 25 days that were negative but was told you have to wait another month to be sure.    
You are right about waiting another month to take another herpes test, but the rash you describe doesn't sound like herpes.  If it came on the thighs, that's probably chafing or irritation.  In any case, you'll need to show it to a doctor in person to know for sure.  Try taking a photo along in case the rash isn't visible enough when you go.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Thank you.  One follow-up question please.  What non-STD skin conditions would cause a single sore at the base of the shaft? Can a hair follicule get so infected it becomes a lesion? The sore appeared to be very similar to the other red bumps but infected.  The actual sore was very small. There was a little hair where the lesion appeared but not much.  It never hurt, healed in a week, and looked like an infected cut (with a small round center) because of the red ring around it.  I have read that herpes usually involves multiple lesions more on the shaft and fluid blisters and is quite painful and extensive for a first time infection.  

I shaved in that area about a month ago for the first time ever and I am concerned that I may have exposed the skin to bacteria.  In any event, it is almost all gone.  Thanks!
A related discussion, Herpes or overreacting? was started.
A related discussion, groin rash was started.
A related discussion, Cause of Moluscum (molluscum) on Gentials was started.