STRAWBERRY BIRTHMARK

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

STRAWBERRY BIRTHMARK

My 9 week old baby girl has a strawberry birthmark under her chin. It started to show up 2 days after she was born and is now very red and just slightly puffy. It has only enlarged about 1 mm if at all... it is slightly bigger than a pencil erasor. Yesterday I noticed a small red pin ***** on her eyelid... I am afraid that it might become another strawberry birthmark. Is it possible? Also, is there a chance that the one under her chin will get bigger since she is already 9 weeks and it hasn't really grown??
Strawberry birthmark is a sort of benign birth tumor of the body. Laser treatment is most commonly used for treating strawberry birthmarks.  Other treatment options include corticosteroids orally or injectible to stop the growth of these birthmarks and plastic surgery. Another method is cryosurgery where the birthmark is frozen but all these options are not without side effects.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.