SUNBURN AND PAINFUL SWOLLEN LEGS

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

SUNBURN AND PAINFUL SWOLLEN LEGS

I HAVE A SEVERE SUNBURN ON THE FRONT AND BACK OF BOTH OF MY LEGS, NOT THE FIRST TIME FOR THAT BUT IT HAS BEEN A VERY LONG TIME SINCE IT HAS HAPPENED, HOWEVER, I HAVE SWELLING ALL THE WAY UP BOTH LEGS AND IN BOTH  FEET. ELEVATING THEM SEEMS TO HELP WITH THE UNCOMFORT OF THE SWELLING, BUT WHEN I PUT THEM BACK DOWN IT HURTS LIKE I BROKE MY LEGS! THE FEEING SUBSIDES AFTER JUST A FEW MINUTES AND I AM ABLE TO WALK BUT THEN THE SWELLING COMES BACK AGAIN. IT HAS BEEN OVER 48 HOURS SINCE THE BURN OCCURED. DO I NEED TO BE CONCERNED WITH THE PAIN AND SWELLING OR JUST MANAGE THEM WITH ELEVATIION AND MOTRIN? IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE THAT HAS CAUSED THIS SINCE I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS TYPE OF SYMPTOM WITH A SUNBURN?

This discussion is related to sunburn?.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

When did the sunburn happen?

At this point, I am thinking that this may not be associated with the sunburn.This seems to be a case of orthostatic edema which seems to be aggravated by walking around or prolonged standing. I suggest that you have this assessed by your physician so that a complete physical examination be done .

Do you have any varicosities in both legs?

Any discolorations?

A complete examination of your pulses as well as evaluation  kidney function may be necessary.
Hey ladybug, I am going through the same exact thing right now I got burned 4 days ago and keeps getting worse now my legs are discolored purple and blotchy swelling became so severe I lost feeling in my left foot. did you get any answers that may help me with my recovery?
hey, my girlfriend was in the sun four days ago and got sunburnt now her ankles and feet are swollen and she cant walk without severe pain. she's 22 and we have no idea what to do. we have tryed putting them in cold water, sitting with a wet towel over them, su nburn cream, everything but nothing is working, please help we dont have long left on our holiday and we've been stuck inside.
when she gets out of a hot bath normally her feet go black and blue, could this have anything to do with it???
I have been reading about these symptoms all over the internet....No one seems to have an answer.  The same thing happened to me last year.  I work at a teaching hospital--in The Emergency Department.  The burn center docs said they didnt think the problem was burn related as they had never seen anything like that.  The ED docs had no idea?  Immunology didnt think it was an immune response, Ditto for all the other departments.  I was at a loss?  I do have a connective tissue disorder--Graves Disease.  I wondered if it might be an immune response?  I was at the Gulf and in the water after my sunburn.  The sunburn did seem to burn way more than one would have expected.  One of the ED docs that trained in Galveston noted that there was a huge bacterial lode in the water--and it was  possible it could be related to a bacteria in the water.  He prescribed a certain antibiotic.  This did seem to help.  I dont know if it was the time factor(as it had been 5 days) or if it was the antibiotic?  But, I will say....I had access to a wide variety of specialists at the hospital.  And, no one knew for certain what had caused the reaction?  I am not too confident that a general practitioner would know?  Good luck