Dermatology Expert Forum
Sand like particles with bumps that itch
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sand like particles with bumps that itch

For three months my skin has been producing these sand like particles on my face, scalp and neck.  It has spread to my chest and causes a sting like bite, that looks like a mosquito bite or fire ant bite.  It itches swells up and then goes back down, then reappears at a later time.  The sand like particles seemed to originate from my scalp.  I have been to a derm twice now and he prescribed steroids, first an injection that didn't help at all, then Desowen lotion that did help, but after two weeks as soon as I stopped using the lotion they came back with a vengence. The bite like rashes are spreading and I am finding more and more sand like particles.  I need help or at least and identification of this disorder.  Thank you.
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
You got me, Sara.  Your dermatologist has obviously been trying to treat you for inflammation of some sort, but your description of "sand like particles" really does not remind me of any rashes I see or am familiar with.  I think you will need to consult again with your dermatologist; perhaps a biopsy or other test may help clarify the matter.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
2 Comments
Blank
i also have the sand particles and sometimes they look like salt crystals. They sting where they appear. It is mostly around my hairline, and on my arms. Sometimes on my forehead. Is there a name for this conditon and what are they?
Blank
A related discussion, acne... demodex mite was started.
Blank
A related discussion, i hope doctors will look into this more... was started.
Blank
A related discussion, i hope there is more reasearch on this topic... was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Sand from skin was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker