Scabies, eczema,...??

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scabies, eczema,...??

Hi - hopefully someone can give me some advice here. :)

My fiance is a 25 year old healthy male who recently has developed an annoying rash. The rashes are small, red dots and bumps (VERY itchy) similar to bug bites but covering large amounts of skin. Near the skin folds the bumps/dots are closer together, while they are farther apart in other areas (it reminds me of larger razor burn bumps). It started about a month ago and was persistent around his groin area, thighs (inner, outer, front and back), lower abdomen and lower buttocks. He also found 3 larger red spots on his penis that did not itch as much and have since scabbed over.

At first I thought it was jock itch, but it was unresponsive to creams. Calamine lotion helped ease the itch a tiny bit, but the rash did not go away. He itches a lot more at night and has been losing a lot of sleep over it. After reading online, I saw that a product called Aquaphor was helpful with skin problems - my fiance has had moderate eczema his entire life and after reading that there are so many types of eczema skin issues I thought maybe this could be the problem. The Aquaphor helped wonders on his eczema patches as well as the rash, but about a week and a half later the rash seems to be coming back (the Aquaphor has made his eczema patches nearly disappear, so I definitely recommend it to you eczema sufferers out there).

The rash now has his knees itching as well as his ankles/feet. He also has found larger red dots/bumps similar to those on his penis around his belly button and near his arm pits. I have considered that he may have some sort of scabies, but being there is such a large rash I wasn't sure. The dots/bumps also do not seem to be in "trails" as I have seen in pictures. I assumed if he had scabies that I would have them too since we share a bed and have physical contact. I do have itching problems that have gotten worse lately around my thighs, knees, backs/sides of knees and shins - but I also have had self-diagnosed keratosis pilaris for my entire life, and my itching symptoms do not match his itching symptoms. I have dry/sensitive skin and any sort of itching turns my skin pink/red, and if I scratch too hard, my KP bumps become irritated. My symptoms do not seem to match my fiance's (though the timing of my increased itching has me worried).

We have not yet seen a doctor due to lack of insurance/money, but I think we are at the end of our ropes and will be seeing a doctor ASAP. Could this really be scabies, a form of eczema, or perhaps something different entirely? Could it be a candida infection/yeast problem? Or even a strange nickel allergy that has spread farther than it should have? I'll take any advice I can get!
I personally dont know, however if money or insurance is a problem depending on where you are located you may be able to find a "Planned Parenthood." they provide free testing for many STD's and im sure one of thier physicians would gladly be able to take a look at your husbands rash and tell you what it may me.

hope that helps -matt
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers