Dermatology Expert Forum
Scabies Scarring

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Scabies Scarring

My partner and I were recently affected by scabies.  My case was worse and included red bumps on the tip of the penis.  The doctor I first saw dismissed scabies and suggested it was probably the end of a herpes outbreak (I have never been diagnosed with herpes).  He said it would go away in a week or so.  When it did not and I began to itch more on other parts of my body, I wnet to a different doctor who diagnosed it as scabies.   I used the lotion and it all went away.  Most of the bumps on my penis healed, but the largest on the tip of my penis would partially scab up, but did not completely heal.  As of day before yesterday, it is not scabbing up anymore and just looks like scar tissue.  It is a deeper red and really bothering me as it is clearly visible (though it does not feel particularly different).  It is really embarassing -- what can I do to get rid of it?  Will it go away?   It is driving me crazy because if I had received an accurate diagnosis the first time or stopped masturbating I suspect I could have kept the lesion from scarring.
Bumps on the penis from scabies can last for months, long after the scabies is gone, but they do go away completely over time.  If you're feeling better overall, you can ignore the red spot and just live as usual and watch it go away.

Scabies can be a tricky diagnosis early on, becoming more obvious only after it becomes more widespread...

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
If you have treated yourself several times for scabies only to have them return....Treat your mattress.  After battling those mites for several years off and on, i found out that they hide in your mattress after you treat your body, clean and change your bedding.  If you are able to buy a new mattress ...do so. If not, exterminate your mattress with a spray from an exterminator; sleep elsewhere for about 5-7 days.  This should get rid of this parasite for good.  It worked for me.
A related discussion, Struggling with scabies was started.
A related discussion, scabies was started.