Dermatology Expert Forum
Scabies or not?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Scabies or not?

I was recently diagnosed with scabies??? I have no bites, no rash, just irritated around my piubic area, I am not even very itchy, just mildly itchy here and there, I did the whole permetherin thing...My question is can you have scabies for a week and a half and have no outside signs, I know there is an incubation type period of 4 top 6 weeks, but I had this irritation for about a week and a half  mind you no rash, and I am prone to itchy or chaffed genital areas, especially when the seasons change or I sweat or do not rinse well...I went to the dr to ask about jock itch before I put the cream on, I guess it is possible to just have an itchy pubic area? I just completely cleaned my house office clothes etc...any second opinion would be nice before I go crazy..Thanks
Related Discussions
1761012_tn?1314048585
Dear drakes1,

Thanks for writing in.

There is no doubt that the symptoms you have are rather unusual for scabies. Having said that, I must also reaffirm that I usually teach my students that scabies should have three classical features like severe generalized itching nocturnal itching and a family history of itching. However, rarely localized areas may be affected. Since you have already been treated for scabies, you don’t need to worry about that. At present, you don't seem to have scabies. Itching on the genitalia may simply be due to excessive sweating and secretion of apocrine or scent glands. Simple dusting with antifungal powders and calamine lotion will suffice and minimize the itching.

Hope this helps. I would be available for follow ups.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. P V S Prasad
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank