Scabies question

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scabies question

Hello. I was diagnosed with scabies on Feb 4th. I was prescribed Permethrin and I applied it to my body and took the doctor's advice by bagging all my clothing up and all that. Everything stayed bagged for over a week before taking it back out and then I washed everything and dried it on high heat for a half hour.

I was hoping this nightmare would be over but the itching persisted and I developed new red bumps. I've read that this could be normal but out of precaution, I got another tube of Permethrin and reapplied it to my body on Feb 14th. I read that it has a 90-95% cure rate so a second treatment MUST have cured me, right?

Well, it is now Feb 21st and I think I have developed new bumps. The itching isn't nearly as bad as it was but I am still worried.

I don't have health care so seeing a doctor is not possible. I've been getting the Permethrin by having my parents going to the doctor and saying they were exposed.

Can applying more Permethrin cause any harm to my skin? Could it actually cause bumps to happen? Or does it sound like I might still have scabies?
Permethrin and oral ivermectin are the best treatment options of scabies. Sometimes itching of scabies persists for a few days after completion of treatment also and sometimes there may be recurrent and chronic cases which may require oral treatment of ivermectin. It is basically reserved for very severe, chronic and stubborn scabies that does not respond to conventional therapies.

So you should continue the permethrin treatment for a few days more and if the symptoms persist then oral ivermectin may need to be prescribed. There is a rule that all family members of the patient of scabies also need to be treated even if they do not have any itching or rashes. Hence please ensure that all your family members also get the topical treatment.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.