Scalp Breaking out Badly

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scalp Breaking out Badly

5581376?1271488983
OK, so I am having major scalp issues, and I am really freaking out here....  The last few days my scalp has gotten really bad on the part right above my neck.  It is really bothering me, and i need to find a solution.  I attached some pics hoping that someone might recognize what I have and recommend a method of treatment.  Here is a little background:

-I started shaving around june/july of 09

-I never had a problem in this area until maybe november of last year...  since then it is not uncommon for me to have irritation here.  However, this far exceeds the norm.

-On two or three occasions it has broken out in a similar fashion.  This is the worst yet, but it isnt exactly without precedent.  On the second occassion i went to a dermatologist...  unfortunately (?) it was largely cleared up by the time i got to see him, so he just thought it was razor rash.  Now that its back, im not so sure....

So, can anyone tell me what im dealing with?  is it razor irritation?  acne??  folliculitis??  Allergic reaction??  Infection??  

Note:  I scheduled a dermatology appointment, but they can't get me in for months.  Assuming its still bad monday (and i have every reason to believe it will be), I'm going to try to see a regular doctor.
These acne on head can be due to folliculitis or acne keloidalis nuchae. It occurs when hairs on the back of the head and neck grow into the skin, become inflamed, and cause scar tissue. These ingrown hairs usually occur following a short haircut on the back of the head and nape of the neck.

Treatment of AKN includes suppression of the inflammation with antibiotics and steroid gels or intralesional steroid injections. So apply antibiotic cream like Neosporin or bactroban. If the symptoms persist then oral antibiotics and steroids may be needed. Please consult a dermatologist in that case.

Larger bumps of AKN present for a while or if not responding to treatments may need surgical removal. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Since it's right above your neck where your skin is the most sensative it sounds like Razor rash or folliculitis to me. my husband gets it on his face and he's gotten it anywhere he's got sensative skin that he's shaved.

I'd suggest 2 things: #1) try some rubbing alcahol (alcohol) on a small spot (since it might burn if you use it on a small spot first your saving yourself alot of pain)

and #2) try some antibacterial ointment on it and also peroxide. Folliculitis is "Inflamation (inflammation) of the hair follicle"...pretty much the same thing as razor burn except razor burn is where the skin is inflammed instead of the hair follicle.

Thanks for the post Dr. Kaur!

The inflammation has calmed down a bit, but it is still an issue.  I have a dermatologist visit scheduled a week from today (4/28).  I will post an update after that.  Thanks again.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers