Scalp Scaling
Hello, about 5 or 6 weeks ago I was washing my hair when I noticed that it seemed like it was getting greasier and there were no suds.  I accidentally used conditioner instead of shampoo, so i rinsed and washed with shampoo.  After that I started to get a couple small areas of dead skin layering on my head.  I picked it off in hope of it going away but it just would come back affecting a larger area and now it affects a large portion of my head, all in small to medium sized areas and they are not getting better.  Around 2 or 3 weeks ago I began using head and shoulders and massaging my scalp while i wash in hopes to get ride of it but i have seen little improvement.  These scaly areas are kinda think and if i pick them off they regrow quickly.  Also behind my right ear are smaller scaly areas and where my earlobe connects to my face there is a wound that does not heal, it just scales up and if i pick it off it becomes oily and sometimes bleeds.

I have looked on this site and it may be Seborrhoeic dermatitis but i am not sure.  I always wear bandanas now because I have long hair and my hair line above my forehead is an affected area.  I am not sure how to get ride of it so if anyone has suggestions on this that would be very favorable.  thank you

Thank you

This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.

Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.

Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination if your symptoms persist.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.

I found out that it is psoriasis