Dermatology Expert Forum
Scalp problem

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Scalp problem
My scalp problem is a white film that covered my scalp. Its sticks to the scalp. Medicated shampoos don't work. When the white film is very active my hair thins and breaks off. My scalp need to be exfoliate. I'm African-American female. Back in the 80's i had a geri curl perm. There was something in the product that exfoliate my scalp. Within two day of the geri curl perm,this white film would come off my scalp. The white film came off my scalp like facial mask peel. After the scalp exfoliation my scalp felt great. The film IS NOT flaky,its looks as if my scalp white and very dry. Is there a product market that will exfoliate my scalp. My dermatologist prescribe shampoos and lotions, they relieved the itching, but didn't exfoliate the film from scalp.
maggst
There's a product your dermatologist may want to suggest called Carmol Scalp application--it contains urea, which is a mild but effective exfoliant.  Worth a try.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I'm an African-American female and have had flaky scalp most of my life, but in my late 20's the condition got worst.  Now in my early 30's it's horrible.  Now my scalp bleeds, get's inflammed and infected.  I'm told that the bleeding, serious inflammation, thick peeling and flaking of the scalp is called "Foliculitist" - an inflammation of the hair folicules.  The pain from them is so great that I can't sleep at night and the only comfort is to periodically go to the dermotologist and get a prescription of "Cephalexin 500MG".  It takes me about 2 weeks or longer to get it under control no matter what stage I catch it in.  
My problem also is that I've not only ever heard of it before but is it really caused by stress like my doctor state?  If not, what can I use/do to prevent the infections,sores and bleeding?
I do apologize to everyone.  I thought I was posting a question, not a comment.  Please accept my apology.
A related discussion, INFLAMED SCALP was started.