Scalp sores

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scalp sores

I am 50 years old, a type 1 diabetic, otherwise in fairly good health.
For about six years now I have had recurring sores on my scalp and a very itchy scalp at times.  The sores are deep, scab over eventually but the scabs are very thick and do not go away on their own, even after months. While they remain the area is very painful and tight. I have to remove them myself, use topical drying agents and anticeptics.  What remains is a significant dent in my scalp where hair will no longer grow.
Has anyone else experienced these?  I have never had success with the very nice but usually puzzled dermatologist in our area, creams and lotions cost a fortune and not a one has ever worked.

Are you having any other associated symptoms?

There could be several causes for your symptoms - this is most probably - alopecia areata -

You could read about it at -

http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic14.htm

You would need to see your dermatologist for the definite diagnosis and the cause of symptoms in your case.

Let us know about how you are doing and what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Hello!

Thank you kindly for responding.  Actually I had read about that condition and looked at some photographs, it is quite different from these lesions I have been experiencing.
However, what you said led to some additional online searching.
In answer to your question, I do have some other symptoms - I have at present a right hand I can barely use, quite painful, swollen with multiple trigger fingers, left hand starting to mimic the right.  I have also had what I thought was seasonal allergies based upon skin on my face reddening with slight swelling occasionally and itchy eyes. My feet have been feeling frozen for two years, sleep with a heating pad at the bottom of my bed - they are not cold to the touch but the sensation is though they are in a bucket of ice water. Regardless I have been trying to maintain an active life because that so helps with the glucose levels and in general keeps me from being quite cranky!
I attributed some of this to possible complications of Type 1 diabetes but did go see an Osteopath who ordered some blood tests. Also, I am often exausted - sometimes because of lack of sleep but sometimes I've had plenty of sleep and still feel just awful.
So after running around the internet I discovered Lupus and I am wondering if that is not what is going on.
I have a wonderful physician but am a self-pay client and the budget does not allow for too many tests or appointments. Insulin is very costly.
I have also found that complaints at appointments about some of these things are not taken as seriously as perhaps they should.  Because I have lost two of my three children (ALL and genetic hemochromastosis) and obviously experienced depression that some of this may be in my head. When I brought my hand into the DO's office he took it very seriously, nothing like some good ole physical evidence to stop that "Are you in therapy?" ridiculous question.
Sorry to babble on like this - my own father is a retired GP but he's on the other side of the country and telling him my nail broke upsets him after what we have all been through.
Thanks again for your response.  I see the DO again this coming Friday.
Take care!
Alison

I am really sorry to hear all that you have been through and admire your courage and approach.

Considering your medical history and the other problems you mention, i have to suggest that you consult a certified physician and if possible an endocrinologist for your diabetes and its complications.

It would not be advisable or possible to suggest anything without a proper detailed clinical examination and certain investigations.

Let us know what your doctor advises and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.
Thanks again!  Heartily agree - I go to Joslin Clinic every six months, diabetes in excellent control.
I will certainly speak to the osteopath Friday, he is in an orthopedic practice and likely will be referred to an endocrynologist with all of this. Might have to rob a bank first!

Take care - I will surely post when I have a name for this - really the sores on the scalp are most distressing, would love to rid myself of those.

Thank you again!

Do update us on the latest and post us about how you are doing.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
I am Having the same problem i am a female White British, 16 years old i keep getting scabs on my forehead scalp and legs wich are really deep they arnt itchy. And the scabs are taking some of my hair out when i catch them with my hairbrush and leavin like a deep hole in various places on my scalp forehead and legs . They keep occuring which is really annoyin and embarassing cause people notice. I Have Asthma and Ezema and hayfever i dont thing its got anything to do with that cause my health has been otherwise alright 4 the past year. My Mum has Discoid Lupus Eyrumosis (DLE)  and Systamatic Lypus Eyrumosis (SLE) I am wondering if it is connected to that I am going to see the doctor on tuesday but am wondering if any one can suggest wot it could be
diatomaceous earth for dust mites is the answer  and some borax spray