Scalp spots and flaking

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scalp spots and flaking

I have a problem with my scalp which I have been to my doctor about twice but without success. I regularly get spots (like face spots) on my scalp which can be puss filled or just red aswell as some itching and alot of flaking. I have no idea what is causing it however the symptoms appear to be at their worst after my hair has just been washed and dried. The spots and flaking then become a real problem. At first I thought the flaking was dandruff, so I started to use Head and Shoulders Anti-Dandruff Shampoo. After that failed to help (in fact, it only seemed to worsen the spot problem if anything) I referred to my doctor who prescribed me with Polytar. After using this for the required time and finding it had no affect whatsoever, I searched online for possible treatments for the symptoms I was having. I found and purchased Capasal Theraputic Shampoo which seemed even worse, bringing me out in more spots than ever and not helping with the flaking. So, I headed back to the doctor and saw my regular GP this time, who prescribed me with Betnovate scalp application for the red area on the top of my head that he noticed and advised that I should then move onto Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo and Simple Shampoo - Simple as a shampoo to prevent irritation and Nizoral as a dandruff solution.

Well, I have done everything that he has advised and I'm still no better off for any of it. Admittedly, the scalp application (which is steroid based) seemed to help with the itching and my partner had said that the rednesss had faded whilst using this. But as soon as the length of time I was advised to use  this had passed, the itching returned very rapidly and the Nizoral has been as ineffective as any of the other dandruff shampoo's which has left me believing that what I have is not actually dandruff at all.

The spots, itching and flaking seem to be related to my hair washing habbits. Regardless of what shampoo I use, whether it be the Simple or the Dandruff shampoo, as soon as I've towel dried my hair, my scalp itches, then once it has completely dried, the flaking becomes a problem. Now, it doesn't just fall from my hair on its own and its not really visable if you just look at my hair, but as soon as I brush my hair or even run my hands through my hair, it falls like snow from my head and is really embarressing. I've sat there and my partner has stoked my hair for a while and then when I get up, the flakes are everywhere, its just unbearable. Then there's the spots, which like I said, can either be puss filled yellow head spots or just painful red spots. This is very uncomfortable when I have to comb or brush my hair as they are painful when scratched. The only way that the spots and the flaking seem to get any better is during periods when I don't wash my hair, but even then the symptoms are still there, just not as strongly. But, the longer I go without washing my hair, the worse the itching becomes, so I have to wash to relieve the itching to a certain extent.

I honestly believe it is being caused by a reaction to the shampoo's im using which is why I think that some kind of natural shampoo would maybe help but dont know of any that are widely available and really dont know where to look. Also, I am unsure if this will prevent the itching.

Any help or ideas on what I should do would be much appriciated as I have run out of ideas now and my doctors appear unable to help. I also have a completely unrelated skin problem that affects my hands and sometimes my feet after they have been washed or been wet and then dried. They become extremely sensitive to touching most objects and materials and the only way to relieve the horrible sensation is to get them wet or moist again either by licking my hands, using moistureiser or touching something wet or damp. And even then, once they are dry again, the agony returns. They are alot worse in cold whether and are also affected by wind. Its not like a pain, its gives you the feeling that makes you cringe. I have had this problem all my life which is why I think its unrelated to the scalp problem which I've only suffered from for a year or so. I have been to doctors in the past about this who have fobbed me off with various hand lotions but they are only ever a short term fix and do not really help at all. Like I said, Ive just learnt to live with this and Im only really looking for a cure to my scalp condition but thought I should mention this incase it is linked in someway.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice at all. Would be much appriciated.

This could be seborrhoeic dermatitis. It is a skin disorder affecting the scalp, face, and trunk causing scaly, flaky, itchy, red skin. It particularly affects the sebum-gland rich areas of skin.

Side effects to inflammation may include temporary hair loss. If severe outbreaks are untreated for extended intervals, permanent hair loss may result, because of damage to hair follicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seborrhoeic_dermatitis

Soaps and detergents such as sodium laureate sulfate may precipitate a flare-up, as they strip moisture from the top layers of the skin, and the drying property of these can cause flare-ups and may worsen the condition. Accordingly a suitable alternative should be used instead.

Among dermatologist recommended treatments are shampoos containing coal tar, ciclopiroxolamine, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, or zinc pyrithione. For severe disease, keratolytics such as salicylic acid or coal tar preparations may be used to remove dense scale. Topical terbinafine solution (1%) has also been shown to be effective in the treatment of scalp seborrhoea,as may lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids or corticosteroids (such as fluocinolone acetonide). Pimecrolimus topical lotion is also sometimes prescribed.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination if the symptoms persist.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
I was using a leave in product by Head and Shoulders, I believe it was called soothing lotion?

You actually left it in. Worked really well on the dry flaky areas.  Unfortunately I cant find it anywhere.

Suggestions for a replacement leave in lotion or treatment of any kind?
I talked to Head & Shoulders  and tried to find out why no one carried it any more and found out H&S Soothing Lotion was discontinued in 2006 much to my dismay and they couldn't recommend a similar lotion.
Wow, For the first time EVER someone has exactly what I have had for the last 20 years. Tried the same treatments with same results, Same as you also with Betnovate.
Only cure I have is to rotate shampoo brand/version every 2 days (I keep about 12 different brands/versions in the cupboard) and that keeps it at bay! As soon as I use any dongle one for over 5 days then Wham it's back!
Hope this helps someone!
R.
"dongle" was a typo/spell-check for "single"
I have the same sort of thing it sounds like. Im 22 and it must of started about 2-3 years ago. First I was in hospital on surgical ward for appendicitis when i finally came out of hospital about 3-4weeks later i came up with a rash over my whole body which was seriously painful. completely dry and moisturizer had to be applied like every 15mins or my skin would start drying out again. Such a pain it was. Found out i caught another form of mrsa. Staphylococcus aureus. Probably because i never got swabbed before going on surgical ward.
Well the doctor was no help really so i was in pain for weeks even ended up in hospital with it which they didn't really help either, just told me to take anti-histamines. after a few more weeks of using the moisturizer it came controlled. but was still there.
I got the doc to finally send me to a dermatological who then said i have psoriasis, probably because of the rash went untreated for so long...

Well i noticed soon after my head flaking and the spots on my face and scalp. She put it down to the psoriasis and prescribed me all sort of shampoos which didn't work. After so long then said it was acne which i have never had in the past. Prescribed me some antibiotics for the acne which did clear it up. until a few days after the course was finished. which then it came up over my body as well as my face and scalp.
i seen the derm just before the antibiotics stopped and she wanted to discharge me. I told her no because it does still come up every now and again. Im glad she kept me on in the end because it must of been 5 days after seein her that it came back up. got to wait another 4 months until i see her again.
I do put this down to seborrhoeic dermatitis from what ive read about it.
I just need to find something that will keep it at bay, its just to spots and flaking that really bug me. I can handle the rash moisturizer sorts that out no problem at the moment
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers