Dermatology Expert Forum
Scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Scalp

My scalp is always very dry and everytime I scratch it, it will flake. I have tried using anti-dandruff shampoo including head and shoulder's and denorex. They help for a short time after washing and then the next morning, it's back to square one. I also have white/lighter patches of skin on my forehead area and have been using hydrocortizone on it for about a month and a half now. Will the patch color return to normal? Is there some medication I can use to keep my scalp moist and prevent the flaking? Should I be using anti-dandruff shampoo or medicated shampoo with tar solutions in it? I think the patches on my forehead is related to the flaking of my dry scalp. The hydrocortizone keeps the forehead area moist and keeps it from flaking but I can't apply it to the scalp. Please advise? Thank you.
TWC:

What you describe sounds like seborrheic dermatitis.  This feels "dry" but is in reality inflamed, though the cause of the inflammation is not known.

You can treat it on your own using over-the-counter shampoo was which contain tar, zinc, or selenium sulfide.  Your physician can prescribe cortisone based creams and lotions which are suitable for applying either on the face or, in more alcoholic forms, in the hair of the scalp.  The spots on your forehead will indeed go away completely, though the nature of this condition is to recur more or less when it wants to.

Best.

Dr. R
Dr R,

Iam a medical student, Iwant some information about
the scalp that can be useful to me in my study?thank you.
Dr R,