Dermatology Expert Forum
Scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Scalp

I have been to many Derms to obtain a difinitive diagnosis, and yet to receive one. My scalp has been tested for fungus and was negative.  My entire scalp, wherever there is hair, feels like granulated sugar, and, at times, have open lesions that bleed and ooze clear liquid. The follicles on my arms are raised and, both my arms and when I rub my arms and shake my hair, tiny, what look like tiny pieces of clear to white thread float off.  It is extremely embarrassing because I look like I am covered in dust.  The top of my legs burn and and the follicles are also enlarged. I put Aveeno lotion on my legs & arms every night, and it doesn't help.  During the past year and a half, of trying to obtain a diagnosis, I have lost my sense of smell and taste, and I have had many ear infections.  I also have tiny clear blisters in my mouth, and the area around my mouth, becomes inflammed, and burns.  I can't help but believe that all of this is related, since I was a very healthy woman.  I was treated for bronchitis, I believe that is when this began, and I know I lost my sense of smell & taste, right after that.  The most recent Derm prescribed a shampoo with a steroid, but that isn't helping, and he recommended I see an internist.  I am really worried, because I am losing my hair, all over my scalp, and I don't know what is happening to me, internally, since I am breathing this stuff in.  Do you have any idea what this could be, and do you recommend I see another Derm, or an internist?  The Derms I see, don't even look at my scalp, they just try different topical & oral medications.....no additional tests other than the fungus test.  
Tags: scalp
The varied constellation of symptoms you describe fits no pattern of disease familiar to me.  Dandruff, pieces of floating white thread, being covered in dust, loss of smell and taste, loss of hair all over the scalp, not to mention all the rest--these don't sound like any disease pattern of any sort.  I don't know what it means to say that your scalp feels like granulated sugar.  As for open lesions that ooze and bleed, that can only happen when you pick or scratch.  If you do this, you must stop.  Once you do, you should see a dermatologist about the scalp and hair loss problems, and ear, nose and throat specialist about your smell and taste problems, and an internist about your general health.  If all checks out normal, as I suspect it will, you should consider consulting a psychiatrist to evaluate the role of anxiety and stress in producing or aggravating these symptoms.  Meantime, picking and scratching are strictly prohibited.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
What would you recommend for smelly scalps? Many of us have tried a lot of dandruff shampoos but also many of them do not work. The smell on my head is only in one spot, but that spot is also  more oily than the other areas and has that certain smell. It smells after my hair dries from taking showers. What is your recommendation or advice for this hectic problem?
with regards to your scalp and the itchy/flakiness do try using betnovate scalp solution it can be prescribed by your doctor but it works absolute wonders it stops the itching almost straight away and then continued useage clears the scabs etc when first applied it does burn and tingle but this is normal do enquire as it could really help!!!
Follicular issues are often due to Vitamin A deficiency.  Low immunity and loss of taste and smell can be from Zinc deficiency.  You may also want to have your Vitamin D and C levels checked.  I would see a good internist (preferably one specializing in integrative medicine) first!
A related discussion, Odor from Scalp was started.