Dermatology Expert Forum
Scaly red patches on legs

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Scaly red patches on legs
For the past several years I have experienced red scaly patches on my legs. When it first appeared, there were only a couple patches, however, last year the problem worsened and this winter my shins and calves are covered with the red patches.  There is occasionally itching, which I am able to minimize through the use of lotions, and the problem seems to go away during the summer, only to reappear in the fall.  A friend told me her son has the saqme problem and that his pediatrician told them it was a fungus.  Does this sound correct and, if so, what is the recommended treatment?
No, it doesn't sound like a fungus, Jeff, since that wouldn't respond to lotions, nor would it come and go.  It sounds more like eczema, a skin sensitivity which comes primarily, though not exclusively, in cold weather.  See a doctor ofr definitve diagnosis and a prescription for a strong and effective cortisone-based cream.  This should help minimize the symptoms and make them go away faster than they do on their own.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, i have something like that too was started.