Scar/Mark on Lip from Cold Sore

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scar/Mark on Lip from Cold Sore

I got a cold sore in October and I was so determined to make it go away that I used rubbing alcohol and abreva, along with icing it just to make it go away. The scab itself came off accidentally when I was applying abreva and it left an inflammed red mark where the cold sore was. It's almost the end of the year and the mark is still there with no signs of fading. I've left it alone, but sometimes it looks more red than usual. I've also tried vitamin e and mederma but I'm unsure if using either of those things will help or not.

Is there anything I can do to fade the red mark/scar that is on my lip? Should I also post this question under another topic?
The mark left on the skin after a cold sore is a post inflammatory hyperpigmentation mark. The treatment for post inflammatory hyperpigmentation includes various skin creams like hydroquinone, azelaic acid, corticosteroids, tretinoin cream and laser treatment. If it still persists then you can go in for laser treatment, Chemical peeling or microdermabrasion.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.