Scar opening up

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scar opening up

I've had a scar from a cut on the inside of my thigh for about four years now.  This weekend I went on a vacation to Disney World (which involve a lot of walking and thus rubbing of thighs) and I noticed that the scar is starting to split open.  When I first got the cut it was about 1/6 of an inch deep, and now it's not deep at all but I don't understand why it's doing this.  It's itchy and irritating and seems to be getting worse.  It's not bad enough and hasn't been long enough for me to want to see a doctor but I was wondering if this is normal.  
  • cuts on penis (2 replies):
    i am having pain in my penis foreskin from last 3 days d...[more]
  • cuts on penis (2 replies):
    Can some one please help me? My boyfriend and i have unp...[more]
  • cut (1 replies):
    i just got back from vacation in a motorhome. i notice a...[more]
  • Skin cuts (1 replies):
    This cut have been appearing for last one month. Have us...[more]
  • rash (1 replies):
    when i walk i get a rash between my grion and sometimes ...[more]
The irritation and itching of the cut can be due to chafing of the skin. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. Also wear cotton undergarments. Application of mild corticosteroid cream and oral antiinflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful. If the symptoms are severe then it will be best to consult a dermatologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.