Dermatology Expert Forum
Scar/skin discoloration on my upper lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Scar/skin discoloration on my upper lip

Help! Four days ago I got my upper lip waxed and it turns out that, aside from the hair, about 1 or 2 layers of skin on each side above my upper lip (about 3/4 of an inch in length each)were ripped off as well! It seems as though if 1 more layer had been ripped off it may have even bled, I put on Neosporin that whole night.  The next morning I covered the spots with foundation despite the fact that they were still open cuts. In the afternoon (make-up free) I kept putting Aquaohor on it. The next day a layer of skin grew and later began to peel.  Today the skin's all finished peeling and seems to be healed, however, the skin texture on both affected areas is different from the rest of the skin on my face as well as a shade or two browner than the rest of my face (I'm Latina so I'm naturally tan). The affected areas are noticeabley different and I don't want to wear make-up everyday for the rest of my life.  Is tanning out of the question and for how long? More importantly, is there any chance that the areas will end up being the same texture and color as the rest of my face?? If so, how long will it take?  If not, what can I do to get it that way?  

Thanks for your help,
                         Allymarko

P.S. What about hair removal methods in the future?
Relax--you will be fine.  These color and texture changes are temporary.  Some people feel that putting Vitamin E on speeds healing.  I don't know for sure if this is true, but it's harmelss and may help.

Another statement you often hear is that sun, or tanning, delays healing.  I'm not sure if that's true either, but sun exposure may darken the skin and delay it from lightening, at least for a while.  Since you want this to fade as soon as possible, you're probably best off minimizing sun exposure until the skin heals.

This will take several weeks of gradual fading.

Unless you're taking Accutane, yhere's no special reason why you peeled this time, unless the waxing was done a little too aggressively.  I would just share your experience with future waxers, so they'll be especially gentle.

But the most important thing to emphasize is that your lip will be normal again.  Just wait it out.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Eighteen years ago, I did the same thing.  Waxed my upper lip, put Vitamin E from a capsule on it, then applied make-up foundation.  I still have the discoloration on my upper lip, and have never been able to get rid of it!  All these years, I thought it was because of the Vitamin E.  Guess not!  Just the luck of the draw...
You should talk to your doctor about a cream containing hydroquinone.  The TriLuma brand seems particularly effective.  Maybe you don't need to live with the pigmentation.

Dr. Rockoff
A related discussion, HELPPPPP!! darkened upper lip was started.
A related discussion, upper lip was started.
A related discussion, upper lip acne scar was started.
A related discussion, Upper Lip Change in texture was started.