Scared of Herpes/Warts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scared of Herpes/Warts

Hi Dr Rockoff,

I am quite a bit concerned about possible STD infection.  I have a history of eczema and dry skin, but until recently I never had any dry skin problems on my penis.  A few months ago, I developed a dry slightly raised patch on the head of my penis which resembled pictures I've seen of herpes breakout sites on the internet.  It lasted for a few weeks to a month.  Whenever I would masturbate or my penis would get hard it would stretch and develop cracks.  It eventually went away, but about a month ago I noticed a small cut on the side of my penis towards the base.  A large dry patch appeared around the cut, gets flakey and the cut scabs over, but it constantly itchy.  I masturbated a few times while the cut was scabbed and it started to burn, turn red and get irritated.  I haven't masturbated in the past few days and have been applying lotion with aloe which has alleviated the dry skin and itching.  I'm fairly brown skinned so the spot doesn't look red, but is darker than the color of my skin, slightly raised and resembles a soft scab.  I have also developed a few small hard white bumps spread far apart on my penis and towards the base.  Sometimes I also get these small boil types of things between the fingers on my right hand, but they only come one at at time, and this has been happening for a few years.  I also have a history of mild cold sores (maybe one every winter season, but are small).  Is this something I should be even more concerned about than I already am?

This discussion is related to Eczema or Herpes.
The dry itchy skin is suggestive of penile eczema and the small bumps can be folliculitis,cysts ,molluscum contagiosum(multiple, small, dome-shaped papules, often with a central depression or plug) or genital warts(caused by HPV infection).

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.