Dermatology Expert Forum
Scarring on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Scarring on penis

Hi, about 15 months ago i had a yeast infection on my penis.  It left a couple scars so about 3 months ago i started putting mederma on them.  I applied the mederma for about 5 weeks before i found out that your not supposed to do that which is when i stopped.  The skin began splitting around the area where the mederma was applied (the tip of the penis and the skin directly below it).  Now the scars are much worse, new ones have appeared, and now pretty much the entire upper half of my penis is red and brown with mild scars.  The scars aren't deep or anything they just make the skin look red like scars from mild acne.  The splitting of the skin has pretty much healed up completely but the scars are still there.  Theres an annoying blister on there too.  My question is: is it possible to get any laster treatment or or pulsed light or dermabrasion or anything on my penis to help with the scarring?  A pamphlet for Palomar pulsed light says it can be performed anywhere on the body except around the eyes.
I'm not sure it really was a yeast infection--eczema is much more common on the penis than yeast--but neither one leaves permanent scars.  Mederma is not dangerous, by the way, so you did no harm.  Don't laser your penis.  Just leave it alone for a few weeks, minimize friction, and apply only vaseline or some other moisturizer.  See a doctor after that if the mark are still there--you may need a medicated cream.  But I'd be very surprised if the marks don't fade completely.  Just give them a chance.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
If the scars will absolutely not go away would it then be alright to try IPL or laster surgery or dermabrasion?