Schambergs Disease

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Schambergs Disease

I am a 52 year old female who has been diagnosed with Schambergs Disease.  All the research I have done suggest that it mainly affects males and mostly on the legs.  Mine started with the rash on my arms and them went down to my legs.  I also have it all over my chest, stomach and sides.  It is not on my back but it has started to appear on my shoulders and neck.  It all started about 9 months ago and has not got any better.  My questions is, will it continue to spread up and can it affect the brain.  Although I have not had any pain or itching, I do have very dry patches which I have not heard anyone mentioning this.  Is this common?
naz

These red splotches in the extremities may be nummular eczema, irritant or contact dermatitis, fungal infections, and Schamberg's disease.

These conditions may be persistent and recurrent.

As for Schamberg's disease ,"Schamberg's disease, or progressive pigmented purpuric dermatitis, is a chronic discoloration of the skin which usually affects the legs and often spreads slowly.

The persistence and recurrence of the skin condition may likely suggest a dermatitic skin condition. If varicosities are present then vascular causes have to be ruled out.

Schamberg's disease is a type of purpura, a purplish discoloration of the skin caused by blood leaking from small vessels near the skin surface. It generally causes no symptoms and needs no treatment.

The eruption may persist for years but the pattern of eruption may change. Some people may have mild itching and require treatment with corticosteroid creams or antibiotics.

There is no permanent cure for the disease. Some laser treatments are being considered but they are still in the trial phase and none of them can be considered as a definite part of the treatment of the disease. Vitamin C may also help in some cases.

Let us know if you need any other information. Post us about how you are doing.

Regards.
I was diagnosed with schambergs about a year ago so I know how you feel. I have done endless research on this and the dermatologist prescribed useless creams and other stuff to me with no luck. I believe in some cases it has to do with poor blood circulation. I have heard of a blood thinner called: pentoxifylline and they tested it on 10 schambergs patients and 8 out of the 10 showed mass signs of skin clearing up. I would def look into it. I ordered some to give it a run, got nothing to lose right? Hope this info was helpful in some way.
Did these spots appear suddenly?
My daughter got these red purpura patches and I think it was because of a new batch of Vitamin B Complex that I injected to her.
Would they go away?