Schamberg's disease

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Schamberg's disease

I was diagnosed with Schamberg disease approximately 2-3 years ago and the symptoms (ie. the rusty coloured spots that look like cayene pepper) on my lower legs have disappeared more than a year now. My dermatologist said that in some cases, the disease clears up completely on its own and the person is healed.However,will my symptoms come back?

This conditions may be persistent and recurrent.

"Schamberg's disease, or progressive pigmented purpuric dermatitis, is a chronic discoloration of the skin which usually affects the legs and often spreads slowly.

The persistence and recurrence of the skin condition may likely suggest a dermatitic skin condition. If varicosities are present then vascular causes have to be ruled out.

Schamberg's disease is a type of purpura, a purplish discoloration of the skin caused by blood leaking from small vessels near the skin surface. It generally causes no symptoms and needs no treatment.

The eruption may persist for years but the pattern of eruption may change. Some people may have mild itching and require treatment with corticosteroid creams or antibiotics.

There is no permanent cure for the disease. Some laser treatments are being considered but they are still in the trial phase and none of them can be considered as a definite part of the treatment of the disease. Vitamin C may also help in some cases.

Let us know if you need any other information. Post us about how you are doing.

Regards.