Dermatology Community
Scratch like looking rash on children
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Scratch like looking rash on children

I'm a daycare provider and watch a number of children.  Over a month ago, four kids 2yrs and under developed a rash on their stomach, back and one had it on his arms.  The rash looks like scratch marks.  Because strep was going around quite a bit during the time and some family members had recently had it, I closed for the day and required each child to get a note from their doctor and asked them to get a strep test.  Every child came back positive.  Almost exactly a month later, 3 of the same children developed the rash again.  I did the same thing.  2 came back positive and one came back negative.  They have different doctors, none had seen this before.  The rash will stay on some but will fade so I took pictures so they could show their doctors incase it faded before they saw them.  Not all were convinced it was strep and some still aren't.  They had no common strep symptoms....no fever, no sore throat, it wasn't red when they looked and thought it for sure wasn't but did the test because I required it.  NOW, one started developing the rash again.  Is it possible that this isn't strep or is there a way to test the rash?  I'm not sure what to do.  The rash itself is obviously contagious but is it harmful?

This discussion is related to rash that looks like a scratch?.