Scratched off a mole on my back

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scratched off a mole on my back

I accidentally scratched off a mole on my back, and it bled quite a bit. I put a band-aid on it, and wasn't too concerned about it. But know I'm reading things about it, and something I read said that if one scratches off a mole and it's benign, nothing will happen, but if its cancerous, the cancer will spread throughout the body! Is this true?
First,
any type of cancerous cell in your body will spread through out your body if it goes untreated or is not removed.
Second,
It's not like if you scratch of a malignant mole the cancer will THEN spread through out your body.. if it's cancerous than it is cancerous..
The only way you will know for sure is to go seek medical attention and to be tested/ evaluated AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
From someone who has had family members with malignant moles, someone who has had moles removed themself and who has a history of skin cancer in her family..
I highly highly suggested going to your dermatologist first chance you get.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Moles do resemble melanoma, a form of skin tumor involving melanin. However, most moles are harmless and there is no enough evidence stating that when  a cancerous mole is scratched, it will spread to other parts of the body.  It is important to know the ABCDE warning signs to determine whether a mole is a melanoma: asymmetry, border, color, diameter or elevated or evolving. Any changes in these parameters warrants further evaluation by your dermatologist. In addition, there are other features of melanoma such as surface changes (bleeding, oozing, scaliness) or signs of itchiness, pain, or tenderness. Have this evaluated further for proper management and to ease your worries.

Take care and keep us posted.
I have mole on my left leg and its there since birth,everytime i scratch it,it bleeds,is it cancerous?