Scratches / Rashes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scratches / Rashes

Over the last several months I have had strange scratches appear instantly. A few weeks ago on a Saturday morning I woke up with a about 2" superficial scratch on my waist line left side. This scratch did not hurt at all and didn't know it was there until I saw it in the mirror. It disappeared in about 3 days and did not leave a scar. Also had scratches appear on my left arm and hand a few weeks ago on a Saturday after I was working in my yard. They were about 2 inches and disappeared in about 3 days with no scar or discomfort. Two week later I had these scratches appear on my left hand, index finger and thumb. Disappeared in about 3 days. Red scrapes or paper cut like marks have appeared before on my left hand, fingers and generally fade in a few days, sometimes slightly itchy. . A little itching but no real pain. Several months ago I noticed the same type of scratches on my left leg just below my knee. These also faded in a few days. I have also had a few red patches from time to time on my back and an odd shaped kind of like a square red mark just below my waist line on my left butt, this also faded in a few days.  Can any of this, scratches or rashes be the result of a virus and what kind of virus would last months?  
Any ideas what might be causing this? Thank You
hmm thats odd. the scratches could just be you nicking yourself while you sleep or do other activities and not even notice it... that happens to me a lot. usually when you have wounds that itch that means they're just healing.. nothing too serious unless its all red and causes quite some pain which could indicate infection. as far as the red patches i am not too sure. it could be a small reaction to soemthing. i would suggest seeing a doctor about this issue if you think is something severe. best of luck,. please let me know when you find out. its quite an interesting concern.
.
I hope you are not scratching while itching when you are sleeping. The other possibility can be of dermatitis skin or scabies skin. Other possibilities can be it can be due to hives, sweat dermatitis or heat rash. Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. Use a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Also use cotton clothes and change the clothes twice if there is any increased sweating. Try keeping the skin free of sweat as far as possible. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort. For the itching antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin can be taken.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I too suffer from unexplained scratches . I work up this morning and took a shower  and when I got out noticed three scratches on my shoulder , they were not just a straight line but one was a half circle. they didn't look like fresh scratches they look like they were heeling  like a few day old , but they were not.  they don't itch . or really feel like anything , any ideas what this is.  The area  where they are does feel like is raised  like when you scratch  yourself and it is red .
I too get these scratches..just got one tonight..this one a little deeper than the others and hurts some..in the middle of my back...been getting these for several years now...I asked the dr and they blew me off..so I dunno..spirits in the house?