Scrotum Itch and Flaking

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Scrotum Itch and Flaking

Help... I'm 51 year old male and have been having these symptoms; a fairly intense itch of the scrotum with dry flacky skin which scratches off like a bad case of dandrif, my groin area somtimes gets red and a little sore but does not ever itch or flake, and periodically itchy arm pits with a sort of redish looking rash about the size of a quarter. Other symptoms include the tips of my thumbs. They can get kinda tender and sore at times and can sometime crack open. On the tips of my other fingers I can't seem to keep my calisus for long.  I'm a guitarist and for the past few years I can't seem to hold on to my calisus for long. I can build them up so there like billfold leather but at times they seem to flake off.  Some nights they can get so raw that I have to super glue the tips of my fingers so that I can make it through a gig. I'm not sure if the finger tips symptoms are related but all of these symptoms seem to have arrived at the same time. In the past my doctor prescribed an expensive anti-fungal cream to try on the scrotum and armpits but it did nothing. So I tried hydrocortizone %1 and that seemed to help all of the symptoms some except for the fingers tips. I have read on the internet that diet coke can sometimes trigger psorisis?  It sometimes seems like the finger tips flakes less if I don't drink diet coke but the rest of the symptoms don't seem to care if I drink it or not.  All these symptoms seemed to have started about four years ago after a very stressful divorce. I'm also about 30 lbs. over weight and have a stressful job as a social worker.  Any clues? diet, stress, ect.ect.ect.

This could be due to several causes but the chances of it being diet related are very less.

This could be an allergic reaction to some unknown substance or dermatitis or eczema or due to sweat or friction.

You should consult your doctor to rule out a fungal infection, tinea corporis or some bacterial infection. The further treatment and plan of management would depend on the confirmed diagnosis.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

To cure Jock itch naturally, keep moist and warm areas of the body clean and dry. Change anything the fungus comes into contact with daily, like undergarments and towels.

You can use talcum powder to help keep the area dry. Powders with menthol or zinc oxide may be used, like Gold Bond medicated powder, to soothe the itch.

Avoid the transmission of the fungus to other parts of the body when drying. You can use anti-dandruff shampoos on the infected skin as many contain anti-fungal chemical compounds such as pyrithione zinc, selenium sulfide, and ketoconazole (Nizoral).

If the skin inflammation causes discomfort and itching, glucocorticoid steroids may be combined with the anti-fungal drug to help prevent further irritation due to the scratching of the area. '

You could read more about the condition at the following link -

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/jock-itch/DS00490

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
I am 14 and I have the same thing exept no finger problems or groin problems. There is a group of guys talking about it on the following link incase you feel like you are the only one that has this (which you are not):

http://www.************.com/My_scrotum_is_completely_flaking_all_skin____t200007.html

=]