Dermatology Expert Forum
Scrotum itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Scrotum itch

I had scrotum itch for almost 2 yrs.
There are no visible symptoms, only scrotum itches.  The scrotum looks normal but only it itches. There are no visible
rashes.
I went to 2 dermatologist. one said its pruiritus scroti & another said its eczema.
I tried ketoconazole, panoxyl, triamcinolone, fluticasone, manuka honey, tea tree oil, cold pressed coconut oil, witch hazel, zeasorb af powder, hydrocortisone but none worked.
But now scrotum itches only when there is sweat/dirt on scrotum.
What is the cause of scrotum itch and what is the cure for scrotum itch?

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your discomfort and concern because of the continuous scrotal itching.

One thing that is important in your case is that no visible rash or sores are present on the scrotum. Although the causes of scrotal itch are many like fungal infections, eczema, psoriasis etc but most of them present with a rash. Even eczema presents as patches of chronically itchy, dry, thickened skin.

In your case, I agree with your dermatologist regarding the possibility of pruritis scroti. The scrotum is an erogenous zone where the nerves are very sensitive. The scrotum can itch with or without any skin lesions and since you are having the itching more after sweating, it can be due to nervous itching as well. Excess sweating produces salt crystals, which can irritate tender skin and kick-start the scratching. It then leads to an itch-scratch-relief cycle.

Pruritis scroti is caused by various inflammatory disorders, infections, infestations, and neoplasms. To confirm the diagnosis you need to get certain investigations done including bacterial and fungal cultures, microscopic examination, skin biopsies, and measurement of blood glucose levels as these are useful in establishing the diagnosis.

Till you get these tests done avoid ingesting coffee, tea, soda, beer or citrus. Since the itching is kick started after sweating, prevent that portion of the body from sweating like by wearing light and cotton clothes, taking cool refreshing baths, maintaining the temperature in your homes and cars and avoiding strenuous activities.

Use mild soaps like Dove and make sure to rinse the soap completely off your body. And after washing, apply an unscented moisturizer to protect your skin. Also avoid irritants, allergens, and restrictive clothing that can trigger the scratching.

Then you can take antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin but since they cause drowsiness you should take them at night. Since sometimes anxiety and stress can trigger neurodermatitis symptoms, anti-anxiety drugs often can help prevent the itchiness associated with the disorder. Also ensure to trim your nails so that scratching does not cause any injuries and any secondary infection.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

I had already followed the suggestions you made since 1.5 yrs i.e using unscented dove soap, keeping the area clean and cool etc but these steps wont cure the itching problem. My dermatologist also made the same suggestions before. I want to know the cure. is there a cream that can cure this problem?
is there a steroid free anti itch cream that i can apply on a daily basis to scrotum with no side effects to relieve itch?
Thank you for sharing such information. This is very nice and it will help many of us. My skin is very dry. I will also use mild body wash. We can also use natural oils for skin care http://naturalhealthcaresupplements.net/natural-oils-with-the-benefits-of-anti-fungal-attributes/